In the south biscuits are a way of life. Few southern cooks didn’t start their cooking life with a basic biscuit recipe. This recipe steps up the biscuit making process a little with fresh cooked sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potato room temperature after cooking
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk or buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Cut in cold butter, use grater or hand mixer until dough is in crumbles
- In a separate bowl combine mashed sweet potatoes and milk, mix thoroughly
- Stir in the milk and sweet potato until the dough gathers itself into a ball.
- Roll out or press out dough until about a half inch thick and fold over on itself.
- Press dough to about 3/4 inch thick and cut out biscuits. Combine leftover dough, fold and cut again.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until done and slighly brown on edges.
- Cool for a few minutes, if you can wait to slather with butter!