Florida Cracker Grits
- 1 1/2 cups grits
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup ham chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion (optional) re-constituted
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning (or to taste!)
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium size pot, cook start the water, milk, butter and salt boiling. Add grits, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until texture of oatmeal.
- In a frying pan, fry bacon until crisp. After removing bacon, add the ham and onion to be browned. Drain and add to grits along with chopped bacon.
- Stir in cheddar cheese. until melted.